How to hack your Apple TV 2nd Generation “ATV2″ and install XBMC
Things you’re going to need:
- A Mac running OSX 10.6 – http://store.apple.com/us
- Latest Version of Itunes – http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
- An Apple TV 2nd Generation – http://store.apple.com/us
- A “Micro Usb” Cable – http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189164
- A copy of “Seas0n Pass” – http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605
- A copy of the latest greenpois0n – http://www.greenpois0n.com/
Follow the guide on Firecore’s website – http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605
(hopefully they will update it soon)
Next run greenpois0n un-tether your ATV2.
Once completed and booted, follow the XBMC guide :
Points of interest / notes:
You can use your Mac’s built-in terminal program to initiate an SSH connection by going to “Application/Utilities/Terminal”
Sometimes seas0npass does not acknowledge your device is in DFU mode, simply force-quit seas0npass and re-open it, seas0npass usually detects the your ATV is already in DFU mode and kicks right off.
Greenpois0n does not always work and you need to launch it from a terminal window for it to work, instructions are included with the README included with Greenpois0n.